Thursday, January 6, 2011

Weaving Tutorial

Due to high demand or one person wanting more detail on how I did the woven piece, I've put together a quick tutorial. Please forgive the photos, it was late and I was in a hurry.
First step (and not pictured) is to paint a picture using water color and allow to dry.  Choose colors that coordinate to your room design.  In this case I've used scrapbook paper because I had it on hand. Once dry, run it through a shredder.

Next I traced where the opening to the mat was so I knew where to concentrate my design.  Then I marked off every 1/4 inch (because my shredder is a  1/4 in).
 Tape a strip at every other mark.  Continue all along one side.
 It should look like this when you are done.  All tape down on ONE side.
 Begin to weave your strips.  Over one, under the other, over, under.  Next strip do the OPPOSITE- if you started the last one under, this one starts over.
 Sorry this paper doesn't show the difference easily.

Use a glue stick to adhere the edges and every few strips I glued too- you'll get a feel for it.  Be sure to push up your strip as much as you can so there aren't any gaps.  Push up and glue.
Just keep going till you've gotten to the bottom of where your mat will be.  Trim up the edges and frame. 

Make sense?

1 comment:

Leave A Lovely Little Thought...